In difficult economic times, shoppers must make every penny count. One of the areas in which shoppers might reduce expenses is the grocery department. In order to accomplish any reduction, you must carefully plan each meal so that every item purchased is totally used.
Nutrition is Important
In planning meals, you should consider nutritional needs. Unless you need a special diet, you should select foods that meet the needs of people who are in good health. Various suggested diets may be found on the Internet.
Although you plan your meals in the short term, you should plan your shopping lists in the long term. By taking advantage of sales, coupons and house brands can reduce your grocery bill. When making your shopping list consider the following:
- Make an inventory of grocery items you have. Plan your week’s menu using as many of these items as possible. Check the grocery circular noting the sales
- Match your coupons with sale items. Check the house-brand items you can use. Plan your meals for one week. Make your shopping list using the inventory and items in step 3.
Using a Credit Card
Using business credit cards with cash back for groceries may be a good option for you; there are other credit cards available for grocery shopping, and using one can reward you as much as five percent. Before using credit cards, you should be certain that you will not overextend your debt.
Since the average household credit card debt is currently $15,587, shoppers should concentrate on eliminating debt so that they can pay the entire credit card debt at the end of each month. Nevertheless, shoppers who can take advantage of cash back rewards have advantages that other shoppers miss.
To take advantage of credit cards, do the following:
- Determine your current credit card balance.
- Add the finance charges.
- Determine the amount by which you wish to reduce your credit card debt.
- Determine the amount that you can afford to pay.
- Subtract the amount found in step 2 from the amount in step 3.
- If the amount found in step 5 is positive, you may spend that amount for groceries to take advantage of cash back rewards.
Planning is key to savings on groceries. The best planners save more than others.