Healthy eating tips
Del Monte Senior Nutritionist Sarah Ludmer (RD, LDN) sent Circle of Food some tasty and healthy eating suggestions along with a recipe that I’m going to share.
From Ms. Ludmer:
• Eat a vegetable with every meal—white potatoes don’t count.
• Have emergency meals ready—flatbreads in the freezer, cheese, canned veggies and StarKist tuna; dinner’s ready in 5 minutes!
• Eat out less
• Drink water, skim milk and beverages without sugar. Limit juice to ½ cup to a 1 cup a day
• Be savvy when buying quick, convenient items—grab Del Monte fruits with less sugar
• Thinking about snacking? Drink water first, you may just be thirsty
Now put these tips to use! Stay in on a Friday night instead of going out (maybe rent a movie or two), make pizza with your kids (serve with water instead of soda), and finish with a low sugar dessert.
Recipe: California Style Pizza
1 pouch (6.4oz.) StarKist® Chunk Light Tuna in Oil
1 large prepared pizza crust
2 tbsp.olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 jar (6 oz) marinated artichoke hearts
½ red bell pepper, sliced
½ red onion, sliced
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried basil)
1. Preheat oven to 450 °F.
2. Place pizza crust on baking sheet.
3. Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds (do not burn).
4. Spread sautéed garlic oil over pizza crust. Spread flaked tuna over crust evenly. Top with red peppers, artichokes, red onion and feta cheese. Sprinkle with basil.
5. Bake 8 – 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.