Where Local and Global Appetites Collide

Happy New Year: Circa 2000

City of Redondo Beach
Image via Wikipedia

Remember Y2K? Remember ten years ago when 1999 was turning to 2000, we thought it was going to be the end of the world? Remember how we thought all the computers were going to explode or be defunct? Remember how we were warned to take money out of the ATM because they were not going to work on 1-1-2000?

I remember.

I remember as the world was turning 2000 and all day long countries around the globe in various time zones were saluting that phenomenon with massive celebrations captured on TV. Oh, those Russians in St. Petersburg Square sure knew how to light up the sky as throngs of rosy faced people in  hooded fur coats  crowded together in unison to cheer in a new century.

We watched TV almost all day mesmerized as countries turned 2000. By the time the U.S. turned 2000 it was anticlimactic.

I was living in Redondo Beach, Calif., at the time. I had two roommates – Jim and Linzi. Rather than go out and face the impending doom, craziness, and drunk drivers I opted to stay in with my two greyhounds, Painter and Lily. My roommates didn’t have plans so I decided to have a dinner and invited my friend Kate to join in the festivities. She brought along her dog, Bosco.

I think dinner started at 8 p.m.

Linzi made melon wrapped in prosciutto and we drank champagne.

Earlier in the day I picked up food from Chicken Dijon. I recall they did a marvelous roast chicken with really good rice,  pita bread, and this amazing creamy garlic spread that was made with loads of garlic, yogurt, spices, and the secret ingredient of mashed potatoes. I made a salad.

And we drank a lot of champagne.

Kate brought two bottles of champagne. Linzi brought two bottles of champagne. Jim brought two bottles of champagne. I brought two bottles of champagne. Champagne is one of my favorite foods along with cheese and chocolate.

I forget what we had for dessert but I remember Jim brought the dessert and he hand whipped the whipping cream with a whisk; it took hours for the cream to become whipped. He just sat at the table talking and whipping, multi-tasking, if you will.

At midnight I said we should go outside and burn our fears. I didn’t think Jim would go for it but he did. So we all wrote down our fears on little scraps of paper and lit a match to them. Poof!

Then we came back in and Jim produced a bottle of Chambord which we mixed with champagne.

After midnight we ran out of champagne. Yes, can you believe that the four of us drank eight bottles of champagne?

At around 2 a.m. I was starting to feel tired and drunk and wished that these people would leave so I could go to sleep. At some point, I realized that two of the other three people lived there and weren’t going anywhere and Kate was far too drunk to drive.

So I said good night, took my dogs into the bedroom, closed the door, and passed out.

The party continued without me.

My dogs rejoined the party; everyone else finished the Chambord; Jim played his electric guitar; I never heard a thing. They rocked on until 4 or 5 a.m.

The dogs needed to go potty at 7 a.m.

Amazingly, I didn’t have a hangover because before going to bed I drank three glasses of water and took two Excedrin. I climbed back into bed after potty-doing and everyone else woke up much later with massive hangovers.

I cannot believe that it was 10 years ago.

Where has the time gone?

New Years Eves have come and gone and I don’t remember any of them but 2000 was special.

Happy New Year – May you all have a safe, healthy and prosperous New Year.

And may a bunch more greyhound race tracks close and continue to close. I hope to see the end of greyhound racing during my lifetime or much sooner. It is a cause that is near and dear to my heart. This year (2009) many race tracks closed (hooray!) and hundreds of dogs are in need of homes. If you’re in the market to adopt a pet, please consider the beautiful loving greyhound.

  1. You hit a sore point with me when you mention the “Y2K” computer issue as if it was a hoax. It was a real problem. I know. I worked as the IT Director for a community blood bank at the time and we prepared a year in advance to make sure all the computers and computer programs were updated to handle the problem. I, and scores of other staffers, spent New Year’s Eve 2000 drinking non-alcoholic sparkling juice just so we could start our systems testing after midnight. I went home at 5 in the morning dead tired and thankful that it was all over. I’ll never forget it.

Leave a Reply