When making Christmas cookies, try to put some low calorie cookies on the platter too. Here’s a zero-fat cookie recipe from Laurel Hudson culinary instructor of Wellspring Academies.
Peppermint Meringue Crisps
Yield: 18 cookies
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 2 egg whites
• Pinch salt
• ¼ tsp cream of tartar
• ½ cup Splenda, granular
• 1 sugar free candy cane
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 2 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 300 F.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with Pam.
3. Combine the egg whites, lemon juice, cream of tartar, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
4. Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites into a meringue, until the whites are thick and stand up in peaks.
5. Add the Splenda and vanilla and whip for 30 seconds.
6. Drop by the spoonful onto pan, making 12 cookies.
7. Crush the candy cane into small bits.
8. Sprinkle the candy cane on top of the cookies.
9. Bake 1 ½ hours, then turn the oven off and let the cookies sit in the oven while it is left partially open until the oven is cool.
10. Remove the cookies from the tray and enjoy!
Approximate Nutritional Information:
12 calories/ 0g fat per cookie