What fun! That’s me, Mary Johnson, on the left, with Carolyn Mueller at Carolyn’s home on the big night.
It has become a tradition with our LAFF gal-pal group to celebrate Christmas with a dinner at Carolyn’s home. It started out, years ago, with just soup and salad and then progressed to what it is today – an elegant dinner party that is the hilight to the year.
The logistics are that everyone comes with their own bottle of wine and each pays a flat fee to cover the expenses of the meal (in our case $20). Our December meeting also includes a “White Elephant” gift that we turn into a game where you can either choose an unopened gift or steal a “previously revealed” gift from someone else.
We decided to play-it-up and wear our “pearls” and June Cleaver Christmas-themed aprons, complete with chefs hats.
The MENU – Appetizers
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Gorgonzola with Arugala
- Tomato, Fresh Mozarella, and Basil Salad
- Mediterannean Style Hummus with Toasted Whole-Wheat Tortillas
The MENU – Entree
- Boeuf Bourguignon
- Green Beans Amandine
- Fresh Whole Wheat Bread
- Fresh White Bread
The MENU – Dessert
It was an ambitious menu, driven mainly by Carolyn’s “let’s do it spirit” that was a huge hit with the LAFF ladies and rightly so because everything turned out delicious and looked great too.
I had such fun working with Carolyn on this joint effort. Carolyn has a degree in food nutrition from her past life (she is currently a practicing attorney) and her philosophy was to create these recipes as true as possible the first time – even though they had ingredients in quantities that most health-conscious people would never eat on a regular basis – such as butter, butter, and did I mention butter?
In the coming days, I’ll add the actual recipes to the complete menu and link to them from here.
Throughout the evening, I tweeted about the event and you can see those photos below.
- Prosciutto-wrapped Gorgonzola with Arugala – easy to make; complex sophisticated tastes. http://s2t.vg/IVApXo #
- All done and pretty to boot! http://s2t.vg/CWGzSU #
- Fastest Fudge Cake – can’t wait to taste it. http://s2t.vg/N5JmCr #
- The party begins! http://s2t.vg/7IyQQH #
- Hummus from Trader Joes with oven toasted tortillas cut in triangles. http://s2t.vg/vcH3Zd #
- Where is a man when you need one? Can’t get the stereo working. http://s2t.vg/jxXWBh #
- The “guest of honor”. Looks great. http://s2t.vg/Pyt1w9 #
- Only the fine china tonight. http://s2t.vg/mEPbZo #
- Green Beans Almondine http://s2t.vg/cs3K1f #
- The chef and hostess – Carolyn Mueller, with her daughter Chris http://s2t.vg/FzMQWm #
- Plated and ready to eat. http://s2t.vg/WVfuM3 #
- The toast: “To many more LAFF dinners” http://s2t.vg/rZmvsb #
- Dessert! http://s2t.vg/0PWach #
- Some of the LAFF girls http://s2t.vg/Lq9aiv #
- Time to open white elephant gifts. http://s2t.vg/xrVvZH #
- Good night everyone. http://s2t.vg/MZHbnV #
I can’t tell you how much I enjoy this lovely group of women. They don’t like to play cards or Bunko – they just love to talk and laugh — the perfect accompaniment to food!