Yesterday, my friend Carolyn and I started preparing for our annual LAFF Christmas Party (LAFF is the informal women’s social group that I belong to). Carolyn came up with the great idea of recreating the Beoff Bourguignon recipe from the Julie and Julia movie. I was assigned the vegetables (perl onions and mushrooms) that are added to the main dish.
I must admit that I have never cooked with so much butter and never will again. This just cannot be healthy. But I am enjoying the process and am learning a lot. For example, I never realized that the vegetables are prepared separately, first, then added later so that you retain the integrety of the individual flavors of the vegetables.
I’ll post the complete menu tomorrow with photos of the gang and some recipes, but here is a preview of some of the preparation I’ve done already.
- Brown-Braised Onions a la Julia Child. Note herb bouquet of fresh parsley / thyme with Bay leaf in cheesecloth. http://s2t.vg/4a92rd #
- Sauted Mushrooms a la Julia Child. Tip: start with dry mushrooms and don’t crowd in the pan. http://s2t.vg/c4pBXV #
- Bourbon Chocolate Cake: Step 1 melt chocolate and butter. http://s2t.vg/JLKJWX #
- Mix brown sugar and egg yolks then add melted chocolate mixture http://s2t.vg/yhWdum #
- Transfer to a separate bowl so we can reuse mixer for egg whites http://s2t.vg/nWp5BI #
- Beat egg whites http://s2t.vg/TdMYf3 #
- Fold egg whites into batter http://s2t.vg/GZoGsL #
- Bake in spring-form pan placed in roasting pan with warm water half way up the sides http://s2t.vg/9uAz8l #
- Cool on rack before icing http://s2t.vg/JGZoxY #