July is both NATIONAL HOT DOG MONTH and NATIONAL ICE CREAM MONTH – so, to commemorate both, Wienerschnitzel is giving away a FREE original chili dog or FREE Tastee Freez small cone on Tuesday, July 14 from 5 to 8 p.m. at all locations.
Free Chili Dog or Small Cone Day is an annual Wienerschnitzel celebration honoring America’s most favorite foods. With 345 stores in eight states,Wienerschnitzel is the world’s largest hot dog chain.
Here are some other fascinating hot dog fun facts courtesy of Wienerschnitzel and the National Hot Dog & Sausage
* Americans eat 20 billion hot dogs a year – an average of 70 hot dogs per person.
* More hot dogs are eaten in July than any other month of the year, which is why it is designated National Hot Dog Month.
* On July 4 alone, the biggest hot dog day of the year, 155 million hot dogs will be consumed. That is enough hot dogs to stretch from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C., more than five times.
* Los Angeles is the second-biggest hot-eating city, after New York.
* More than 21 million hot dogs will be eaten at major league baseball parks this year. That’s enough hot dogs to round the bases 41,667 times – or stretch from Nationals Park in Washington, D.C. to AT&T Park in San Francisco!
* The first words Mickey Mouse ever uttered in a cartoon were “hot dogs” (in “The Karnival Kid,” 1929).
* Perry Como, Elvis Presley and Led Zeppelin all recorded songs titled “Hot Dog.”