In a nutshell: Three people suffered burning mouths and rashes after eating these tuna steaks.
from FDA press release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — June 30, 2009 – North Coast Seafood has voluntarily removed from sale Fresh Tuna Steaks that were sold at Shaw’s, Star Market and Big Y Stores in New England
The recalled product was sold between June 20 thru June 24 to retail stores throughout New England and was removed from sale on June 24. The product was recalled because of possible elevated levels of histamine that may result in symptoms that generally appear within minutes to an hour after eating the affected fish.
The following are the most common symptoms of scombroid poisoning. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include: tingling or burning sensation in the mouth, rash on the face and upper body, hives and itching of skin, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. There have been three reported incidents by consumers.
North Coast Seafood feels that while these were isolated incidents, every precautionary measure should be taken when it comes to consumer safety. This recall does not impact any other fish or seafood sold by Northcoast. Customers who purchased this tuna and may have frozen it, are urged to bring the product back to the store for a full refund or replacement. Customers who have questions or concerns about this issue can speak with Northcoast Seafood at 617-345-4410…ext 260.