Raise your hand if you’ve come home from work only to find a big box of home grown zucchini on your front porch or worse — crammed into the mailbox.
It’s that time of the year when zucchini is harvesting and people are going out of their mind with what to do with it. Not only sharing it with a neighbor or whole neighborhood but consider sharing it with a local community food bank or taking it to a farmers market and offering it for free. Don’t let the Italian squash to go to waste!
The creative folks at Spice Hunter have even come up with a name and a date and are calling August 8 – “National Sneak Some Home Grown Zucchini on Your Neighbors Porch Night”. Clever.
Some of their suggestions include:
- Make zucchini boats with breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and spices
- Whip up a spicy Szechwan stir fry
- Make some albondigas soup
- Everyone loves zucchini bread
- Saute zucchini with tomatoes and a little coriander – serve on pita bread
The ideas are endless. I bet there as many ideas for serving zucchini as there are zucchini.
If you have an easy recipe, please share.