Bananas should be part of a healthy diet. Comparatively speaking, bananas are inexpensive and provide many of the daily nutrients that your body needs.
Here are 10 reasons why everybody should eat a banana a day to keep the doctor away:
1. A banana is filling and helps to satisfy hunger pains.
2. Bananas are portable and convenient and require no preparation.
3. Bananas replace nutrients lost during exercise and supply ongoing energy.
4. Bananas have no fat, no cholesterol, and no sodium.
5. Bananas (and other fruits and vegetables) are part of a heart healthy diet.
6. Bananas are rich in fiber which may prevent some cancers.
7. One banana has 20 percent of the reference of daily intake of vitamin B6 which is valuable to building antibodies in the immune system, a healthy central nervous system, and red blood cell formation.
8. Since bananas are a good source of potassium, they may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and strokes.
9. A medium banana only has 110 calories.
10. Bananas are delicious!
A quick way to enjoy a ripe banana is to peel it, put in a microwave-safe dish, sprinkle with cinnamon, and 1 tsp of brown sugar or white sugar. Microwave for 40 seconds. Voila! A warm mushy banana that tastes like warm banana ice cream. Optional: Add a small scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of vanilla yogurt or Cool Whip.